RE: Tracking a (potential) abuser?

From: Ralph Los (RLosat_private)
Date: Thu Feb 06 2003 - 21:25:52 PST

    Thanks to all that have replied.  I do appreciate the responses.

    Here's what I've determined should be our course of action, both from
    suggestions and some at-lengh brainstorming.

    First, we're faced with a few big challenges, namely:

    1. 2 Servers, hundreds of students, dozens of teachers, a few admins, and no
    "order" or access policy
    2. We're not even entirely sure there is/was a compromise of any part of the
    system
    3. It is very difficult to track access to specific folders if those folders
    are used legitimately hundreds of times a day, by dozens of people often
    sharing usernames/passwords with their collegues

    So here's my strategy:

    1. Forget trying to "find the culprit" at this point
    2. Create domain-level policies and groups for admin, access purposes
    3. Tighten password policy
    4. Re-work permissions on all folders
    5. Selectively audit access to important folders, etc
    6. Limit, track and audit all "admin"-level access.

    I think this is a sound plan.  Rather than spending countless hours and
    dollars tracking what may be a ghost, we're going to take the high road and
    assume that we can move on after some serious security audit-work.

    Thanks again everyone,

    /Ralph/