RE: Tracking a (potential) abuser?

From: Ralph Los (RLosat_private)
Date: Mon Feb 10 2003 - 08:28:51 PST

    It wasn't my call.  Although a good point was made to me personally about
    the fact that if the school doesn't have a clearly-defined AUP, and ap
    privacy policy, it may not even be illegal to "hack" their systems...if
    there's nothing saying it's not legal.

    As far as my personal views?...I understand that privacy is what the policy
    makes it out to be.  If you you're using MY system for legitimate purposes
    according to my acceptable use policy, there's nothing you should be hiding
    there which is "confidential or private" anyway.  A home directory is used
    (as defined in acceptable use) for storage of scholatic and
    classroom-related material, research, and non-personal items.  I think that
    defines it very clearly.  If you want to store porn, your personal dirty
    emails, do it on your home machine - not on the school's hard disk space.
    Perhaps I'm being a bit over-zealous and I surely don't eman to start a war
    here, but...that's just my **personal** philosophy.

    /Ralph/