Re: The "unplug the cord" dilemma

From: De Velopment (develat_private)
Date: Sat Mar 29 2003 - 13:27:44 PST

    Hello Omar,

    On 27 Mar 2003, Omar Herrera wrote:

    > I was looking for documentation available discussing circumstances where
    > each of the following approaches is better:
    >
    >    a) leave the system online/plugged to the network -> online
    > investigation
    >    b) unplug the system from network and shutdown -> offline forensics
    >    c) unplug the system from network and unplug from power source ->
    > offline forensics

    I would like to suggest a fourth option:  Unplugging the Ethernet cable
    from the system itself, but leaving it on, at least for a bit.  This is,
    of course, safer than option a) above, since it will put an immediate
    stop to any attacks the system might have been making to others.  Also,
    it MIGHT allow one to see what processes are running, though, like with
    option a) above, the commands, on the system itself, could be trojaned.

    Rather than when an individual option is appropriate, the question may
    be better asked, which option should be started with, as I submit that
    the offline backup and forensics need to be done in any case where
    getting answers is important.  In cases likely to go to court, option
    c), right away, might be appropriate, to eliminate "tampering with
    evidence" defenses.  (I am not a lawyer, however).

    Good luck and best regards,

    Ken Parker