RE: The "unplug the cord" dilemma

From: Omar Herrera (oherreraat_private)
Date: Sun Mar 30 2003 - 05:57:12 PST

    Thanks for your comments,

    > > I was looking for documentation available discussing circumstances
    where
    > > each of the following approaches is better:
    > >
    > >    a) leave the system online/plugged to the network -> online
    > > investigation
    > >    b) unplug the system from network and shutdown -> offline
    forensics
    > >    c) unplug the system from network and unplug from power source ->
    > > offline forensics
    >
    > I would like to suggest a fourth option:  Unplugging the Ethernet
    cable
    > from the system itself, but leaving it on, at least for a bit.  This
    is,
    > of course, safer than option a) above, since it will put an immediate
    > stop to any attacks the system might have been making to others.
    Also,
    > it MIGHT allow one to see what processes are running, though, like
    with
    > option a) above, the commands, on the system itself, could be
    trojaned.

    Connecting some kind of honeypot replacing the compromised system (or
    simply any system with a sniffer and same ip address) could also give
    information; connection retries might take place and they could be
    recorded.

    > Rather than when an individual option is appropriate, the question may
    > be better asked, which option should be started with, as I submit that
    > the offline backup and forensics need to be done in any case where
    > getting answers is important.  In cases likely to go to court, option
    > c), right away, might be appropriate, to eliminate "tampering with
    > evidence" defenses.  (I am not a lawyer, however).

    Still the call should be made buy the company owning the system and with
    a person with appropriate level of authority within it, unless you are
    forced to do formal forensics by law... maybe some government
    institutions have to (in some cases)

    Best regards,

    Omar