Re: Linux, dd, and image file

From: Brian Carrier (carrierat_private)
Date: Wed Apr 02 2003 - 07:28:26 PST

    On Wed, Apr 02, 2003 at 08:19:37AM +0200, Grega Bremec wrote:
    > ...and on Tue, Apr 01, 2003 at 08:31:10AM -0800, Sabol, Paul used the keyboard:
    > You should check out the partition table using "fdisk -l /dev/hdc",
    > then "dd if=/dev/hdc1 ..." if the NTFS partition is the first and/or
    > the only one on that disk, or use the corresponding partition number.

    Paul,

    I agree that you likely grabbed the entire disk instead of the
    partitions.  I wrote an article in the last Sleuth Kit Informer about
    extracting partitions from a disk image using 'dd' and 'fdisk' that
    provides more info on doing this on a Linux system.

    http://www.sleuthkit.org/informer/sleuthkit-informer-2.html#split
    http://sleuthkit.sourceforge.net/informer/sleuthkit-informer-2.html#split

    brian