Re: Linux, dd, and image file

From: Grega Bremec (gregabat_private)
Date: Tue Apr 01 2003 - 22:19:37 PST

    ...and on Tue, Apr 01, 2003 at 08:31:10AM -0800, Sabol, Paul used the keyboard:
    <snip>
    > Basically, I md5 the original drive, make a working directory on my Linux
    > drive, and then 'dd if=/dev/hdc of=testing.bin conv=notrunc,noerror,sync".
    > I then make a /mnt/windows directory to be used as the mount point and chmod
    > 777 this directory.

    All well and fine, but you've just created an image of the entire hard
    drive, my friend, which is why mount is complaining, as there clearly
    isn't a valid superblock, but instead a master boot record. :)

    You should check out the partition table using "fdisk -l /dev/hdc",
    then "dd if=/dev/hdc1 ..." if the NTFS partition is the first and/or
    the only one on that disk, or use the corresponding partition number.

    <snip>
    > I do the following:
    >
    > # losetup /dev/loop0 testing.bin
    > # mount -r -t ntfs /dev/loop0 /mnt/windows

    Just a note: the following is also possible and saves you one step:

        $ mount -t ntfs -o loop ./testing.bin /mnt/windows

    Cheers & good luck,
    --
        Grega Bremec
        grega.bremec-at-gbsoft.org