RE: Linux, dd, and image file

From: Jason Upchurch (churchat_private)
Date: Thu Apr 03 2003 - 19:25:19 PST

    Birger has it exactly right.  fdisk -ul with give you the offset in
    sectors, multiply that number by 512 and you will have the offset in
    bytes for each partition, just in case you have more than one ;)

    Oh, and there is a 2 GB limit for offsets with losetup, ie you can not
    go further than 2 GB into the disk for that partition you seek.  This is
    a kernel limitation that has yet to be fixed. If someone has a modified
    kernel to fix this limit, please let me know!!!

    Jason Upchurch