RE: Computer Forensics

From: Jason Coombs (jasoncat_private)
Date: Tue May 06 2003 - 01:28:17 PDT

    Remember that "forensics" is defined through the use of forensics.

    Establishmentarians like to build big walls around the subject and ensure
    there is a high barrier to entry with requirements for certifications, formal
    education and training, and so forth... But the fact is, and always will
    remain, that forensics is expert rhetoric meant to convince others of a
    particular viewpoint. Any forensic expert who believes with absolute certainty
    that their methods and procedures cannot be fooled is a danger to everyone in
    society because they are delusional.

    Sometimes the rhetoric is backed up by empirical evidence, so we can write and
    read books about how to gather and analyze this evidence empirically so as not
    to contaminate it or misinterpret it, but in the end you cannot escape the
    fact that any person and any method that proves to be more convincing becomes
    the standard of practice in forensics. Thus any claim of the "right" way to do
    something is valid only until somebody else comes up with a different way to
    do something and a convincing explanation as to why it too is "right" or
    perhaps even "better".

    Remember also that many, many established forensic experts reject the very
    existence of "computer forensics"; pointing out (accurately) that this is
    nothing more than a sub-specialty area within the catch-all "forensic
    engineering" field, where engineers (rather than scientists) who ply a trade
    with expert technical knowledge of methods and procedures can offer valuable
    testimony in a court setting without being scientists or being bothered to
    adhere to lofty principles like the scientific method, the pursuit of truth
    and justice, and simple ethics.

    Sincerely,

    Jason Coombs
    jasoncat_private