Re: Computer Forensics

From: Kurt Seifried (btat_private)
Date: Tue May 06 2003 - 13:20:50 PDT

    One potentially dangerous thing I see developing with this effort is the
    assumption most people seem to be making that the forensics
    procedure/technology must withstand legal scrutiny, i.e. under a court of
    law. This is not always the case. Many sites will want to execute computer
    forensics for other reasons, such as recovering data, finding out why a
    server crashed badly, and people who want to gather that data but do not
    need or want to pursue legal sanctions against the other party (i.e.
    companies running regular checks on systems to detect anamolous behaviour, a
    suspicious spouse, a concerned parent, etc.).

    I feel it is important to remember that not everyone has the same
    legal/technical requirements for computer forensics and that the guide
    should reflect this. I.e. offer a set of options/reccomendations (do steps 3
    through 7 to recover the data. do steps 1 through 2 and 8 through 10 to
    recover the data in a fashion that is more likely to withstand legal
    examination).

    Kurt Seifried, kurtat_private
    A15B BEE5 B391 B9AD B0EF
    AEB0 AD63 0B4E AD56 E574