RE: Finding root-kits on Windows

From: Amarante, Rodrigo P. (RPAmaranteat_private)
Date: Wed May 07 2003 - 08:32:03 PDT

    I'm sorry for not completely answering your question.  This is what I
    tried with Hacker Defense:

    Mapping Network Drive to a volume on the compromised machine - Cloaking
    bypassed
    Connecting to the remotely to the Registry on the compromised machine -
    Cloaking was still enabled
    Listing services remotely using psservice.exe from sysinternals -
    Cloacking bypassed
    Listing running processes remotely using pslist.exe from sysinternals -
    Cloaking was still enabled
    Trying to kill the "hidden" process remotely using pid gathered with
    renamed taskmgr - Successful
    Trying to kill the "hidden" process remotely using filename gathered
    with renamed taskmgr - Failed

    I think that the sucessful bypasses can be "fixed" by a newer version of
    the rootkit...It's just a matter of knowing whatelse to intercept (thank
    god for SoftIce)