Removing HTTP headers from tcpdump logs

From: Chris Mawer (chris_mawerat_private)
Date: Wed May 07 2003 - 07:32:49 PDT

    List,

    I have a recently acquired tcpdump logfile on my hands. It captured several
    megabytes of data, including several ftp, ssh and http sessions.

    In trying to recover files from the sessions captured, Ive run into two
    problems.

    1. The SSH data is encrypted, but was captured by a network-wide keystroke
    logger. (I don't wish to debate the ethics here..)
    2. With the FTP sessions, running the tcpdump file through ethereal allowed
    me to "Follow TCP Stream" and recover the files transferred perfectly.
    However, trying to do the same with the HTTP sessions didnt work too well.

    My question to the list: What tools/methods are used to manually remove the
    HTTP headers that prevent the (easy/quick) recovery of files over HTTP?
    RFC's on the issue, whilst informative are 20 years old. What does the
    modern-day homosapien forensics investigator do?

    Many thanks,

    Chris Mawer

    http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger