Windows XP Startup Disk

From: Daniel Sedory (thestarmanat_private)
Date: Mon May 12 2003 - 18:06:09 PDT

    An acquaintace of mine who works at a crime lab was recently working with
    a Windows XP installation when we saw some unexpected 'deleted' files on a
    diskette that the OS produced.  So, we decided to do a forensic analysis
    of the floppy disk (it is created when you place a floppy in the drive and
    select the check box for "Startup Disk" from the 'right click menu').

    It turned out that it had begun its journey as a Windows ME Startup Disk;
    whomever at Microsoft had been assigned the task of making this simple DOS
    (ME; version 8.0) Boot Disk FOR Windows XP (it will only boot to an A:
    prompt and does nothing else), obviously did not start with a formatted
    diskette.  This seems to reflect either a very hurried day for that
    employee or someone who didn't even know that deleting files from the disk
    would not actually remove their contents (unless overwritten)!  In all
    fairness though, if you examine the MAC times, you CAN see that the
    original IO.SYS file appears to have been targeted for some editing and
    then intended to remain as the basis for the new XP Disk.  However, I'd
    have suggested that they copied all the necessary files to a hard disk and
    started with fully formatted diskette before releasing it into production!

    One of the files that can still successfully be undeleted from the disk is
    the entire EBD.CAB file from the original Win ME Startup Disk.

    I thought some of you might be interested in using this as 'homework
    assignment' for some Computer/Forensics classes or I wouldn't have brought
    this up.

    Sincerely, Daniel B. Sedory