Open Source Initiative Survey Results

From: Matias Bevilacqua (mbevilacquaat_private)
Date: Mon May 12 2003 - 12:19:13 PDT

    Hi,

    There have been a total of 30 answers to the survey, thank you for your
    feedback. Following are the aggregate results from the survey as promised.
    You will find my own comments where deemed necessary highlighted after each
    of the answers.

    Tor Andre has volunteered to host a web page to reflect the numbers answered
    for each question rather than the percentages, here is a direct link to the
    mentioned page if you'd rather have that view of it: (thank Tor.)

    http://www.knackit.net/html/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&si
    d=9&mode=thread&order=1&thold=0

    1) Do you feel there is a need for an Open Source Methodology Manual for
    Computer Forensics? [Y: 100% / N: 0%]:

    --> No comments <G>

    2) Do you feel such a standard already exists? [Y: 0% / N: 100%]:

    --> No comments.

       *If [NO] what do you think is missing to any of the available resources?
        (That is, what pitfalls you feel we should avoid in this project)

       Individual initiatives, not developed by the community [Y: 86% / N: 14%]:
       Not truly Open, no GPL License [Y: 86% / N: 14%]:
       Not used by enough people to accept it as a standard [Y: 86% / N: 14%]:
       Not subject to a formal peer review process inside the community [Y: 93%
    / N: 7%]:
       Not kept up-to-date [Y: 89% / N: 11%]:
       Not enough detail, very abstract or merely "Principles" (ex. G8) [Y: 89%
    / N: 11%]:

    --> It seems that these are the key elements which stopped other available
    resources from meeting the community's needs. The list seems also to be
    pretty extensive since I have received no additional comments on things
    which had gone wrong.

    3) Do you feel there is a need for an Open Source Standard Operating
    Procedures Manual for computer forensics? [Y: 100% / N: 0%]:

    --> No comments.

    4) Do you feel such a standard already exists? [Y: 7% / N: 93%]:

    --> Affirmative answers opted for:
    	*CERT/CC
    	*FBI's Infragard

    	CERT/CC is definitely doing a great job (I'm a former worker from a CERT so
    this could be biased!) but I feel their forensic resources are not really
    SOPs nor are they liturgical-oriented which is one of the key aspects of
    having it become a standard. It is anyway, a resource to take into account.
    	On the other hand the comment about FIB's Infragard was not to use their
    SOP's which are actually internal and not available to the public, but
    rather to get them involved in the initiative.

       *If [NO] what do you think is missing to any of the available resources?
        (That is, what pitfalls you feel we should avoid in this project)

       Individual initiatives, not developed by the community [Y: 76% / N: 24%]:
       Not truly Open, no GPL License [Y: 84% / N: 16%]:
       Not used by enough people to accept it as a standard [Y: 80% / N: 20%]:
       Not subject to a formal peer review process inside the community [Y: 88%
    / N: 12%]:
       Not kept up-to-date [Y: 92% / N: 8%]:
       Not enough detail provided [Y: 96% / N: 4%]:

    --> Same general impression as above.

    5) Do you think that we should adopt one of the existing methodologies and
    from that base develop appropriate Standard Operating Procedures? [Y: 10% /
    N: 90%]:

    --> Affirmative answers actually clarified to use available methodologies as
    guidelines to build an open standard, they didn't feel reinventing the wheel
    was a good idea.

    6) Do you think such a resource should also include technical procedures [Y:
    97% / N: 3%]:

       *If [YES] please provide more detail:

       Technical Procedures should be developed once the general methodology and
    non technical procedures/protocols are ready [Y: 87% / N: 13%]:
       Technical Procedures should be separated from methodology and
    non-technical procedures/protocols [Y: 87% / N: 13%]:

    --> It is clear that technical procedures are needed, and the way to go with
    it seems quite clear too. It seems there is quite and urging need too since
    that's my only explanation to negative answers for 6.1 question.

    7) Do you feel the effort should be made to provide simpler methodology and
    procedures for non-liturgical forensics scenarios? [Y: 76% / N: 24%]:

    --> I've had a lot of affirmative answers here stating the fact that the
    basic model should be liturgical and from that point relax restrictions on
    non-liturgical forensics. It has been also stressed, both on the answers
    received and on the list, that a non-liturgical forensics could easily
    develop into a liturgical one and examiners need to be prepared for it.

    Some interesting comments received I'd like to share with the list follow:

    “Separation of process, procedures(how) and what to do, from techniques,
    which tools and the use of them. Technique age, process don't.”

    “There are, clearly, some generic guides but, NO, I don't think that there
    is any universally accepted standard set of best practices.”

    "This list was created to do just this..."

    “The pitfalls are that these types of processes or methodologies become part
    of a capitalistic approach to delivering the information.  In other words,
    once it appears to have credence as a process it immediately is bought up
    and sold to the community at large who are the victims of cyber attacks and
    should have these types of tools available for free.”

    “A place for local legislation, not covering the law in every country but
    rather how to handle the legal aspects and where to find local information.
    Like legal placeholders, "Here the following legal aspects apply..., verify
    your local legal framework for further reference", type of information. Know
    what to look for. Appendix on where to find local information.”

    “Methodology ought to be acceptable as 'expert testimony' in courts”

    “The only thing you have to careful about is that you
    don't "lock in" the forensic examiner.  As you know,
    not all situations are the same and if we have a set
    standard, the defense can harp on the fact that the
    examiner "missed a step" in the set standard, even
    though it might not be applicable in that given
    situation.  This is the reason why HTCIA and IACIS
    have avoided making a standard procedures manual.”

    I wanted to share these insightful comment for various reasons. The first of
    which is that I believe in Open Source Knowledge and thus wanted to share
    them with you <g>, the second is that it provides a feeling about what is
    really needed and expected, and last but not least, it depicts the fact that
    people have really taken the time to think on it and are willing to
    cooperate.

    Taking all of the above into account I'll be starting the initiative asap. I
    feel we can create some very useful resource for the community, raise up
    standards and provide a much more mature approach to the field of computer
    forensics as a whole.
    I'll be getting back to the list to announce the details about the Source
    Forge setup.

    Sincerely,
    Matías Bevilacqua Trabado
    CYBEX
    PGP-ID: 0x40A4869F
    PGP Fingerprint: 2052 98A0 F0F0 2914 D7FA  4E7C 0488 7E8C 40A4 869F

    CYBEX
    Grupo Intelligence Bureau
    Rambla de Catalunya, 32 4º-2ª
    08007 Barcelona