looking for EFS weaknesses

From: Ryan Smith (ryansmithat_private)
Date: Thu Jun 26 2003 - 08:53:30 PDT

    After some research, I am considering rolling out an encryption solution
    based on win2k EFS. I know of one weakness, that encrypting a file that
    already exists will leave behind an insecurely deleted plaintext file.
    This means anyone with any decent forensics tool could bypass the OS and
    easily read it directly off the hard drive.

    It also transfers files insecurely across the network.  SSL should solve
    for that.

    Does anyone know of any other major weaknesses in the EFS encryption,
    certificate handling, encryption, etc?  For this group I'm particularly
    looking for areas of the hard drive that may contain hidden plaintext
    copies of normally encrypted documents.