Re: looking for EFS weaknesses

From: Tom Bowers (bowerstat_private)
Date: Fri Jun 27 2003 - 06:20:18 PDT

    The weaknesses of W2K EFS are as follows:

    1.  The default recovery agent for encrypted files is the W2K
    Administrator account. Therefore if you can compromise the Administrator
    account and login as the same you have access to ALL encrypted files.
    This compromise is very easily accomplished with Peter Nordahl's Linux
    boot disk. It can be found at:
    http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/bootdisk.html

    2.  Elcomsoft has developed a tool that locates and attempts to
    break/interpret the private keys being used for EFS in a GUI based tool.
    It can be found at:
          http://www.elcomsoft.com/aefsdr.html#

    3.  Yes both of these solutions require physical access to the affected
    PC but if we assume a stolen laptop with company proprietory data on
    it......

    When we architected W2K for Wyeth we had high hopes for EFS. They were
    soon dashed because of the weaknesses listed above and in your email.
    EFS in XP does not share these weaknesses due to a change in how they
    handle their key pairs.

    Respectfully,

    Tom Bowers, CISSP
    Wyeth Pharamceuticals
    Lead Desktop & Firewall Engineer

    >>> Ryan Smith <ryansmithat_private> 6/26/2003 11:53:30 AM >>>

    After some research, I am considering rolling out an encryption
    solution
    based on win2k EFS. I know of one weakness, that encrypting a file that

    already exists will leave behind an insecurely deleted plaintext file.

    This means anyone with any decent forensics tool could bypass the OS
    and
    easily read it directly off the hard drive.

    It also transfers files insecurely across the network.  SSL should
    solve
    for that.

    Does anyone know of any other major weaknesses in the EFS encryption,
    certificate handling, encryption, etc?  For this group I'm particularly

    looking for areas of the hard drive that may contain hidden plaintext
    copies of normally encrypted documents.