Re: Retrieve deleted data from a mobile phone

From: Blair Brown (blbrownat_private)
Date: Wed Jul 09 2003 - 13:11:45 PDT

    I am aware of commercial methods used to exchange data between embedded
    systems and PC's. However it would appear that specialized knowledge is
    required to accomplish this.

    The Netherlands Forensic Institute has developed a number of software
    tools to assist in this process. These include Cards4Labs - reading GSM
    SIMS and TULP - for reading mobile phones via cable or IR.

    For an introductory reference to this topic I would suggest that you
    look for the Handbook of Computer Crime Investigations - Academic Press,
    Edited by E. Casey. It contains an excellent chapter on embedded
    systems.  Some related documents are: Embedded systems checklist from C.
    De Becker, 2000, University of Antwerp. Smart Card Handbook, 2nd Ed,
    Wiley

    For Palms etc. PDD is a good tool and Paraben has some PDA tools.

    I would be interested if you find any commercially available tools or
    equipment to assist with this project, as I am considering on having
    some students work on such research later in the year.

    Regards,

    Blair Brown, CPP, CISSP, CCE
    Program Coordinator - Cyber Crime
    Centre for Law and Justice
    Sir Sandford Fleming College
    (705) 749-5530
    >>> "Gary L. Palmer" <palmergat_private> 07/08/03 18:18 PM >>>
    Like many others the AFRL is researching forensic analysis of cellular
    technology as well.  If anyone is interested I will post a link to the
    Microchip
    Technology Inc. 24LC16B serial EEPROM that is used in many cellular
    phones. Just
    let me know. Or I will send the PDF to anyone that contacts me off-line.

    Gary

    Suresh Ponnusami wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > To a certain extent the numbers from dialed, received and missed calls
    > from Siemens (till 35 series) can be retrieved even after clearing.
    The
    > data is stored in the phone's memory and when the power (battery) is
    > removed abruptly, it retains the previous batch of the data which
    might
    > be useful. haven't tried with other mobiles. (will be trying with
    other
    > handsets soon). but if the number is stored in the sim card, i don't
    > think it'll be possible to erase because the user's action gets
    reflected
    > immediately as well as due to the limited amount of memory available.
    > It frees the space as soon as it gets deleted.
    > regards,
    > P.Suresh,
    > Co-founder,
    > Information Security Consultant,
    > nSecure Software (P) Ltd.,
    > Bangalore, KT,
    > India - 560071
    > http://www.nsecure.net/

    Gary Palmer                            Cellular - 407-687-3102
    The MITRE Corporation         Work - 407-208-1320 x229
    3504 Lake Lynda Drive          dpalmer30at_private
    Orlando, FL. 32817                 palmergat_private
    "The riddle does not exist. If a question can be put at all, then it can
    also be
    answered."
    Ludwig Wittgenstein, Tractatus Logico Philosophicus, New York, 1922.
    "If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there."
    George Harrison, 2002 (LP/CD: "Brainwashed")