RE: More on possible remnants of wiping ..

From: Robert Goto (rgotoat_private)
Date: Wed Dec 31 1969 - 15:59:59 PST

    There are some 'wiping' type applications mentioned in the the registry of a
    standard Windows 9x installation. So the fact that you find them in a text
    search of the drive does not necessarily mean that these applications ever
    existed on a drive.

    On a case I worked on a while I go, I got all excited when I found these apps
    showing up as the result of a text search but alas found them all to be from:

    hkey_local_machine\system\current control set\control\session
    manager\checkbadapps

    This appears to be a list of applications which Windows checks for and finding
    these entries does not mean that these applications ever existed on the subject
    computer.
    Some of the applications found in this registry key are:
    Shred.exe
    Wipeinfo.exe
    Secure.exe