Re: Creation / modification / access dates

From: Valdis.Kletnieksat_private
Date: Mon Jul 14 2003 - 11:39:57 PDT

    On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 19:17:22 BST, Andrew Sheldon said:
    > Indeed. I agree wholeheartedly - Thats why I said...
    > >.... Obviously, this is keyed to the BIOS of the computer used to write the  CD.

    Umm.. No. It's NOT keyed to that BIOS.  It's not keyed to ANYTHING.

    This laptop has a CD burner on it.  It's also not running Windows.  Want to
    make any guesses how many bits of the CDROM it burns are keyed to the BIOS?

    (To be pedantic about it, if the timestamp  is keyed to ANYTHING on my laptop,
    it's keyed to the current system time on the host tick.uh.edu, since that's
    where my NTP chain goes back to, though of course if I was feeling evil I'd
    kill NTP and set the system time/date by hand....)

    Remember - if I'm an attacker, you have to assume that any CD I burn is like an
    episode of the Outer Limits - I control the horizontal and the vertical. ;)
    *Every single* bit on the CD is suspect unless you can *prove* otherwise...