drive integrity check problems

From: Michael Scott (arcadiansat_private)
Date: Sat Aug 09 2003 - 07:53:10 PDT

    Hi,

    A beginning analyst I needs some advice. please.

    I have imaged a very old Windows FAT drive (3.7Gb) and tried to verfiy the
    original physical drive integrity before imaging in RH Linux by hashing:

    # md5sum /dev/hdd

    I get an error:  File Input/Output Error some way into the hash calc.    Is
    this indicative of bad sectors ?
    I also get the same when I do a plain dd image , dd if=/dev/hdd.

    By adding conv=noerror I can image the drive, ignoring errors and this
    works,  fine albeit very slowly.

    Any advice and knowledge much appreciated.

    Many thanks

    Michael