Re: Using dd.exe to make forensic images of NTFS drives

From: Volker Tanger (volker.tangerat_private)
Date: Mon Aug 11 2003 - 01:29:18 PDT

    Greetings!

    On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 02:04:34 +0900 "Sakaba" <Sakabaat_private>
    wrote:

    > dd.exe if=\\.\f: |nc.exe <forensic machine IP> <port>

    I am not sure, but I don't think that the IF= parameter does give a
    proper representation of the binary partition. I'd suggest booting from
    a linux CD or disk like Knoppix or TRBT  and start from there. Solves
    the problem of locked files/parts when booting Windows, too.

    >  I have no probs using dd with linux partitions at all.

    Windows partitions or complete multiboot disks work like a charm for me
    (e.g. as documented in http://wyae.de/docs/img_dd.php) - as long as
    there are no defective blocks on neither source nor destination media.

    So I guess the IF=<DosDriveLetter> parameter is the guilty one here.

    Bye

    Volker Tanger