Using dd.exe to make forensic images of NTFS drives

From: Sakaba (Sakabaat_private)
Date: Sat Aug 09 2003 - 10:04:34 PDT

    Hi everyone,

    I have tried time and time again to make images of my NTFS drives via the
    dd command in windows.
    I use the FIRE cd forensic shell on the windows box and:

    dd.exe if=\\.\f: |nc.exe <forensic machine IP> <port>

    On my linux box I run:

    nc -l -p <port> |dd of=/home/user/ntfs.dd

    That all works fine and it makes and transfers the file but then I try to
    add the file in autopsy and it tells me its not an NTFS image and
    consequently doesn't add it.

    I tried conv=noerrors and I tried just dumping the file on the linux box
    without dd on the of= side.  I tried different NTFS partitions of different
    sizes as well.  My linux box has the NTFS support kernel mod and everything
    else about autopsy works fine.  Just these NTFS images.  I have no probs
    using dd with linux partitions at all.  I'd like to find a solution to this
    because commerical ware like Encase is outrageously expensive and dd is
    free making it perfect for my situation.

    Thanks,
    Sakaba