file fragment analysis

From: Svein Yngvar Willassen (sventyat_private)
Date: Mon Aug 11 2003 - 05:12:37 PDT

    Hello folks!

    While I was working with a case today, I stumbled across a large amount of
    binary material in unallocated space, which I am unable to identify. The
    material did not contain any specific words or other signatures that would
    enble me to see what kind of file it originally had been. While this is
    not important in this particular case, it struck me that it should be
    possible to produce new ways of identifying file types, based on content
    rather than on header/footer signature.

    One could for example build a frequency signature by counting the number
    of each byte in the data. Such a signature could be extended by
    frequencies of digraphs (2-byte combinations), trigraphs etc. When the
    proper way of building a signature has been found, one could build a
    database of signatures of all known file types, much like the signatures
    in /etc/magic in UNIX-systems.

    One would now be able to identify a file type just from a fragment, like
    in the situation above. I believe this would be of great value for
    computer forensic investigators.

    Have anyone heard of research along these lines, or perhaps even a tool to
    do this?

    --
    Svein Y. Willassen, M.Sc
    investigation manager, computer forensics, Ibas AS