Re: Using dd.exe to make forensic images of NTFS drives

From: crazytrain (subscribeat_private)
Date: Sun Aug 10 2003 - 12:37:55 PDT

    Sakaba

    which version of Autopsy are you using?  Older versions had limited/no
    support for NTFS, so that *may* be the problem.

    Quick question, isn't FIRE a Linux based bootable cd?  Therefore the
    syntax would be;

    dd if=/dev/target_partition | nc XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX port_number

    Of course if it is a Win32 Bootable cd then strike my thought above!

    When you run 'file ntfs.dd' in Linux on that created image file, what do
    you see/get returned?

    If you're using a later version of Sleuthkit it supports NTFS, so there
    is something else wrong.  I'd try again with the Linux nc syntax on a
    tried and tested NTFS partition and try again.  Let us know which
    version of Autopsy you're using.

    farmerdude