Re: Program to wipe data from disk free space

From: Keith Oxenrider (koxenrider@sol-biotech.com)
Date: Mon Aug 11 2003 - 03:32:27 PDT

    Obviously I failed to adequately explain the purpose in my post.  It was
    triggered by the article "Hard drives offer up secrets" as posted in the
    message "RE: Windows HD image for forensics testing" by madmex.  I am aware
    of the residue of information left on a hard drive that has been
    overwritten; though I believe that most techniques to recover that data
    require opening the hard drive case and special equipment.  I also believe
    that in order to overwrite data to the standards you and others have
    mentioned require special drivers that are probably OS/hard drive
    specific.  Since it is (to the security aware community) well know that
    formatting a drive is a waste of time I felt that offering something that
    could be run on most any architecture (probably even DOS) by people with
    little or no knowledge programming (though obviously they would need a
    compiler) would be something useful.  If I had a hard drive that stored
    something sensitive (like that in an ATM) I would physically destroy
    it.  The salvage value of the drive is miniscule in comparison to the
    potential value of the information.  But if I have a drive that is from my
    personal home machine that is being donated to a school I feel this is
    quite adequate for my protection.