Re: Program to wipe data from disk free space

From: Alfredo Octavio (aovat_private)
Date: Mon Aug 11 2003 - 12:47:53 PDT

    On Sunday, August 10, 2003, at 05:03  PM, Kurt Seifried wrote:

    > Like most first attempt wiping programs this one fails miserably. It
    > fails
    > to wipe slack space (i.e. 16k data allocations, a 10k file leaves 6k
    > unused,
    > a previous file may have used it). It fails to wipe MFT space (small
    > files
    > may be stored directly in the MFT). This would leave a TON of
    > evidence. My
    > advice: Buy wiping software that actually works. I did some testing,
    > the
    > commercial ones don't even fare to well, none of the amateur ones came
    > even
    > close to being truly effective.
    >

    > Kurt Seifried, kurtat_private
    > A15B BEE5 B391 B9AD B0EF
    > AEB0 AD63 0B4E AD56 E574
    > http://seifried.org/security/

    Could you give more info about what commercial wiping software works
    and which one doesn't. I have used several in the past and I am now
    using PGP to wipe individual files and I would appreciate informed
    opinions and options.
    Thanks.
    aov

    ----
    In all matters of opinion, our opponents are insane
    - Oscar Wilde
    ----
    Alfredo Octavio
    PGP Key ID: 0x6531FC6D