RE: Using dd.exe to make forensic images of NTFS drives

From: Reava, Jeffrey [IT/0200] (jeffrey.reavaat_private)
Date: Mon Aug 11 2003 - 13:48:41 PDT

    Sending an image out using dd and netcat may effectively make the system
    unusable from a production standpoint while the image is being transferred,
    and the malware will be running the whole time you're imaging and analyzing.

    Win32 binaries of Sleuthkit utilities (www.sleuthkit.org) work on system
    partitions (almost) as well as on image files. They'll give you more
    information than the usual volatile sources without having to wait for an
    image to complete. You can check every binary and copy off those that are
    suspicious, and use prebuilt hash sets/config files to make sure that you're
    only sending off the types of files that are relevant to the examination.

    It'll still spike your processor & disk utilization, but it should give
    enough information to decide between leaving the system up or taking it down
    for proper imaging.

    Jeff