RE: Using dd.exe to make forensic images of NTFS drives

From: Reava, Jeffrey [IT/0200] (jeffrey.reavaat_private)
Date: Tue Aug 12 2003 - 08:04:17 PDT

    -----Original Message-----
    From: crazytrain [mailto:subscribeat_private]
    Sent: Monday, August 11, 2003 11:29 PM
    To: forensicsat_private
    Subject: Re: Using dd.exe to make forensic images of NTFS drives

    >>On Mon, 2003-08-11 at 04:53, Sakaba wrote:
    >>I want the capability to take live
    >>images of windows machines without having to reboot them and
    >>without having to use thier binaries.

    >Unless you pre-install a program to do such, I believe this is currently
    >impossible.  There are compiled live analysis kits for Win32 but they
    >all (please correct me if I am wrong) call at least one or more DLLs
    >from the running Win32 system, based on the design of Win32.

    --per Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 164501:
    "The use of KnownDLLs secures the system from someone deceptively replacing
    APIs by placing a rogue DLL in the application directory."

    In this case, the "protection" is being used against you.
    HKLM\System\..\KnownDLLs specifies that certain DLLs must be loaded from
    winnt\system32. While you can add a registry key
    HKLM\..\ExcludeFromKnownDLLs, I have not been able to get it to 'take'
    without a reboot.

    For DLLs not listed in the KnownDLLs key (eg. cygwin1.dll) they'll load from
    the same dir as the executable, but their dependencies (kernel32.dll) will
    still load from system32.

    This communication is intended solely for the use of the addressee and may
    contain information that is legally privileged, confidential or exempt from
    disclosure.  If you are not the intended recipient, please note that any
    prohibited.  Anyone who receives this message in error should notify the
    sender immediately and delete it from his or her computer.