Re: Program to wipe data from disk free space

From: Ansgar Wiechers (bugtraqat_private)
Date: Fri Aug 15 2003 - 21:40:16 PDT

    On 2003-08-11 Kurt Seifried wrote:
    > > Obviously I failed to adequately explain the purpose in my post. It
    > > was triggered by the article "Hard drives offer up secrets" as
    > > posted in the message "RE: Windows HD image for forensics testing"
    > > by madmex. I am aware of the residue of information left on a hard
    > > drive that has been overwritten; though I believe that most
    > > techniques to recover that data require opening the hard drive case
    > > and special equipment.
    >
    > Nope. Most drive recovery is done via software (i.e. not cracking the
    > disk open).

    I'm not a security professional, but I noticed this kind of question
    appearing on various list once in a while. Since every time there seems
    to be a different answers, I was wondering: has there ever been proof of
    recovering data (overwritten just once with zeroes or arbitrary values)
    via software? I mean real recovery not just restoring one bit and
    another.

    Regards
    Ansgar Wiechers