Re: Program to wipe data from disk free space

From: ndave brow (d4secat_private)
Date: Mon Aug 18 2003 - 22:10:53 PDT

    Unfortunatly I don't have the funding to set up my own MFM lab so I can't
    confirm the veracity of all of this, however:  i've heard that it has been
    done by those of us with decent budgets (read Law enforcment etc.).  MFM is
    probably not going to yeild anything that could be used in court, as it only
    recovers small fragments (not legal advice :) and is obviously open to
    attacks from any resonably competent defence lawyer.  Also it sounds pretty
    expensive....

    Alledgedly the remaining file fragments are the result of wobbly write heads
    not writing over the same physical position of the track each time - so when
    you write over file, your not destroying all the data

    Apparently http://www.forensics-intl.com/art15.html goes into this in more
    detail (I haven't had the time to check it yet).

    Oh and a big "hi" to those of who haven't turned off our vacation
    notifications or who a mining this website for spam address...

    ninemsn Extra Storage is now available. 30MB of storage on ninemsn Groups -
    great for sharing photos and documents. Click here  http://join.msn.com/