RE: PPTP (again)

From: Stout, William (StoutB@pioneer-standard.com)
Date: Fri May 15 1998 - 10:40:35 PDT

    First of all, apologies to the list and Weld for replying to the wrong
    list.  I kept quiet since I thought no one would notice my dumb mistake
    ;) .  Secondly, these are borderline firewall issues, and probably are
    more appropriate to the firewalls-list than firewall-wizards.  The
    thread of PPTP insecurities is on the NTBUGTRAQ list.  Background:

    Nial Smart said:
    >It seems to me that changing the RC4 key each packet is not enough.
    >Consider the case where an attacker can predict a reasonably large
    >proportion of the (unencrypted) contents of the packets going in one
    >direction, in this case the attacker can simply XOR the ciphertexts to
    >produce the XOR of the plaintexts, then XOR this with the plaintext he
    >knows to produce the plaintexts of the other packet.

    Weld Pond replied:
    >This is correct.  All that spam you get for "get rich quick" scams is
    >actually data the NSA floods  mailboxes and USENET with so that they
    >have known plaintext passing through encrypted tunnels.

    Which I challenged, noting a limited number of 'wild but true' items I
    know about:

    >- a funded covert (cyberwar) project to compromise some
    >encryption/security products for intelligence purposes (clipper
    >contingency plan),
    >From confidential sources internal and external to the gov't - also
    makes sense, it's 'what they do', why wouldn't they?

    http://www.jya.com/gakbill-text.htm .

    >- a project to place sniffers on all Internet backbones (via Janet
    >Reno),
    (CALEA) http://zeus.bna.com/e-law/docs/reno.html,
    http://www.usdoj.gov/ag/speeches/mar1998.htm, which was actually passed
    as an Act in Congress in 1994 and discussed in an International Law
    Enforcement Conference http://www.fbi.gov/dirspch/davos.htm.

    >- and a plan to put 'Mind control' elements of Psychological Warfare on
    >Internet sites & postings (Congress, Porter Gross-R Fla.),
    CIA Iraq story (password site)
    http://www.mercurycenter.com/premium/nation/docs/cia11.htm San Jose
    Mercury News "Budget cuts hobbled CIA on Iraq, lawmaker says".

    I did find one source for SPAM from the FBI:
    http://www.firstbase.com/fbi.htm .

    Bill Stout