Re: Inside PIX?

From: Randy Witlicki (randy.witlickiat_private)
Date: Thu May 14 1998 - 19:24:54 PDT

    >There was a posting in relcom.comp.security some days ago: one man
    >told he opened the PIX box and guess what was inside? Yep, you are
    >right. The generic chinese PC motherboard with Pentium CPU.
    >Not just some Pentium-based piece of hardware, but _PC_ motherboard.
    >IDE controller and some other things were removed but..
    >
    >Then, did anybody try to take a closer look on the software?
    >I guess (if the assumption that PIX software is an IOS derivative is
    >right) porting IOS to the PC was not as hard as one might think
    >(assuming that IOS was really written in gcc as rumors say): not easy
    >but not harder than porting from one cisco hardware platform to another
    >(some ciscos are (were) actually a m68k-based _computer_ with nearly
    >no tricky hardware things implemented and others have nearly nothing
    >common with first ones)

       The PIX box was created by a company that cisco bought a few
    years ago.  For example, in Version 2.x of the PIX software, the
    command to save the configuration to a floppy was "save -f", in
    Version 3.x, cisco made the commands more IOS-like and they
    changed this command to "write floppy".
      I think the internal codebase is not IOS.

      - Randy
     -