(off-topic) Re: Current definition of a hack

From: Travis Low (tlowat_private)
Date: Tue May 19 1998 - 06:05:16 PDT

    At 06:00 PM 5/18/98 +1000, Christopher Nicholls wrote:

    >Now it seems that a hacker is a bad type who "cracks" computer systems
    >security (or lack thereof) and breaks into systems in order to steal,
    >damage or destroy computer data. Really they should be crackers not
    hackers...

    In the US, "cracker" is a derogatory term for "white person".  I prefer the
    media-corrupted term: "hacker".

    Travis

    Travis Low                                          MindQ Publishing
    tlowat_private                        11490 Commerce Park Drive #400
    +1 703 262 6616 (vox)                       Reston VA 20191-1532 USA
    +1 703 716 0237 (fax)                           http://www.mindq.com
                "The sager is off the ping!!"  -- Tiernan Low