Newbie question - IP routing through a firewall

From: Asier Azaceta (azacetaat_private)
Date: Wed May 27 1998 - 08:22:25 PDT

    Hello,
    this is the first time I write to this list. I know this question may look
    pretty stupid, but I won't be rest in peace until I know the right answer.

    I've got a network structure similar to this:

           Internet --- Router --- Firewall ---- Internal Network

                                 Server Farm

    Right now, I have no direct control over the router, that's way I want be
    sure before asking for any setup modifications on it.

    I've read you shouldn't have IP Routing enabled in the firewall, that's
    fine, but my question is: Should the router pass all the traffic to the
    firewall? I mean, should it have a route like 'internal-network gw
    firewall'?

    I've tried to find the answer in books, but every one obvious this subject.
    Can you help me?

    Thanks in advance,
    ___________________________________
    Asier Azaceta