Re: Newbie question - IP routing through a firewall

From: Rodney van den Oever (roeverat_private)
Date: Fri May 29 1998 - 13:37:24 PDT

    >       Internet --- Router --- Firewall ---- Internal Network
    >                             Server Farm

    >I've read you shouldn't have IP Routing enabled in the firewall, that's

    That's dependant on the type of firewall, packet-level (yep) or application
    level (nope).

    >fine, but my question is: Should the router pass all the traffic to the
    >firewall? I mean, should it have a route like 'internal-network gw
    >firewall'?

    It depends on the type of firewall:

    o packet filter: yes.
    o packet filter, static or dynamic translation or hide mode: no
    o application level (proxy) or circuit level (socks): no

    --
    Rodney van den Oever / 06 55868577 / PGP Key ID 0x0A6CCE53
    When asked by an anthropologist what the Indians called America