Re: Speeds and feeds

From: tqbfat_private
Date: Fri May 29 1998 - 03:13:13 PDT

    > I'm working with a company currently using a T1 which becomes very
    > sluggish when engineers do many FTP and HTTP sessions through a state
    > firewall on a Netra-1 (firewall is not a bottleneck).  They're thinking
    > of upgrading to a T3 with a fast proxy server (+ VPN) since they also
    > are running out of IPs, and internal systems are getting hit by external
    > packets.

    Whoah. Are you sure you're saturating the DS1 and not the router? Do you
    have numbers to back up moving to a DS3? How big is this company? I ran a
    large ISP for a couple years, and I have never seen a non-content-provider
    or ISP that needed a DS3.

    Highly recommended tool: MRTG, the Multi-Router Traffic Grapher, which
    polls SNMP devices and throws up nice graphs in HTML. You can find it at
    http://ee-staff.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/mrtg/mrtg.html.

    Thomas H. Ptacek	  The Company Formerly Known As Secure Networks, Inc.
    http://www.enteract.com/~tqbf	 "If you're so special, why aren't you dead?"