Re: Speeds and feeds

From: Drexx Depuno (drexxat_private)
Date: Sat May 30 1998 - 06:56:31 PDT

    Hello,

    If you really want bandwidth management and firewall functionality,
    why don't you use Check Point's Floodgate-1 and Firewall-1 on a
    good, 2-CPU, Solaris SPARC machine? We use it in our office and our
    humble 64kbps to ISP was given a new lease on life (pardon the pun).

    I think the Cisco solution uses RSVP and so do a lot of other traffic
    management solutions. If so, isn't a requirement of RSVP to be fully
    effective is to have RSVP-speaking devices connected per device on
    the network? And so it's almost impossible to achieve in the Internet?

    BTW, is there any serious security trade-offs of having traffic
    management and firewall functionality on one box?

    Drexx Depuno (Opinions are my own and not of my employer.)