Re: The devil's in the details

From: David Lang (dlangat_private)
Date: Wed Jul 14 1999 - 09:09:24 PDT

    1. All traffic to the internet goes through the firewall.

    2. Most of the non-internet traffic hits one of our internal servers.

    This allows us to cover all this traffic with host based systems on the
    firewalls and internal servers.

    This still has a gap in coverage in that there is no way to prevent an
    attack from one desktop to another (i.e. customer service attacking the
    CEO's desktop)

    As for the performance, etc of running a full IDS system on the firewall.

    The performance issue can be delt with by buying a bigger machine for the
    firewall (in our case the bandwidth isn't that high) and the security
    issue is a trade-off and a judgement call as to how much you trust the IDS
    system. IMHO you _really_ need to be able to trust your IDS system as much
    as you do your firewalls or you are wasting your time putting it in.

    David Lang