RE: Scanner and Firewall?

From: Henry Sieff (hsieffat_private)
Date: Wed Jul 14 1999 - 07:29:35 PDT

    I'm pretty new too, ubt I can help with some issues; I assume others will
    correct any mistakes.

    > I'm designing a new network which my company will be
    > co-locating offsite.
    > I've spec'd out all the good stuff, including a FW-1 box to
    > protect the
    > network, but find myself facing this question - do I need
    > scanning software
    > in addition to the firewall?  I know that FW-1 has pretty
    > comprehensive
    > software (much more than I've taught myself to use, thus far)
    > with all the
    > logging, but do I gain something by adding another scanner to
    > the firewall
    > box?

    If, by scanner, you mean IDS, the best way to judge that is to evaluate the
    cost of attempted intrusions. I run an ids behind my firewall host to make
    sure that my policy is being applied properly.  I do not run an ids outside
    my firewall, as I do not have the time to check every ping sweep or BO scan
    anyways; however, ideally I think that's a pretty good idea.

    If, by scanner you mean some sort of vulnerability scan, then ysea, I think
    periodic scanning of your hosts from both inside and outside your network
    borders can help a) identify what a potential intruder would see and b)
    determine whether you can detect these casual scans, which are often the
    first stage of an actual attempt. Again, you need to figure out first how
    much you are willing to spend (which usually means attatching a dollar
    amount to security, which has always been the hardest part of the job for
    me).

    > Also, does anyone know if there's a book that's accepted as
    > the bible of
    > network security (or Internet security)?  I've seen a few
    > texts, but some of
    > what I've seen thus far are only applicable to Unix networks
    > (which, I have
    > the unfortunate position of being in an all NT shop) or are somewhat
    > outdated..

    Network security is network security; the only difference between OS's
    ultimately are the specific exploitable weaknesses (imo, perhaps others will
    disagree).  And since those change, your best bet is to subscribe to an nt
    mailing list. I recommend ntbugtraq and ntsecurity (go to
    www.ntbugtraq.com).  There are also a couple of good white papers on
    "hardening" an nt box (haha, I know, but it DOES help), one from Trusted
    Systems, which may help you.  The biggest hassle with nt security, though,
    is the lack of "open" discussion; witness the paranoia that surrounds the
    disclosure of a new bug in the nt world.

    As I said though, I have found concepts from the Unix world to be very
    helpful in the nt world, the only difference for me being in the specific
    weaknesses to address. The white papers I reffered to can be found at
    www.microsoft.com/security.

    HTH

    --
    Henry Sieff