Re: Firewalls - ITSEC Rating?

From: Christopher Nicholls (cnichollsat_private)
Date: Wed Feb 02 2000 - 18:06:28 PST

    At 09:42 PM 1/02/2000 +1000, Craig Martin wrote:

    >Could someone possibly explain the difference between
    >a Firewall that is ITSEC rated and a F/W that is
    >not?...Am I correct in saying that Firewall-1 for
    >example is not ITSEC rated?...Seems strange.

    Craig,

    Nothing intrinsically different. The ITSEC-ness of a product does not
    indicate necessarily that one with an ITSEC rating it is better than one
    that isn't ITSEC rated. Nor does it say that one ITSEC rated firewall is
    the same as another, even with the same rating.

    The value of an ITSEC-rating is that the purchaser can identify that that
    particular firewall has had a set of security claims made/set (the Security
    Target) and has been tested agaist a number of criterion for compliance
    with those tests. In other words "the firewall does what its manufacturers
    claim" - that is all. The various levels 1, 3, 6 etc... are the levels of
    "assurance" to which it has been tested - basically anyway.

    There are a number of testing authorities around the world - here in
    Australia for instance it is the Defence Signals Directorate. Each has
    their own list of "approved" or ITSEC-tested products. Gauntlet, Checkpoint
    Firewall-1, IBM Firewall, Cisco PIX and CyberGuard are firewalls in this
    country that have either been ITSEC rated or are still undergoing testing.
    Firewall-1 V.4.0 is ITSEC E3 in the UK and 4.1 is still under evaluation
    there too. In Australia 4.0 is still under evaluation...

    More info:

    UK: 		http://www.itsec.gov.uk/
    Australia:		http://www.dsd.gov.au/infosec/

    You also may wish to check out the Common Criteria scheme as well....

    http://csrc.nist.gov/cc/

    CC is becoming the new evaluation standard to be adopted by various
    countries around the world.

    Hope this helps.

    Regards

    Chris

    Christopher A Nicholls

    Softway NSG - Randata - Rotek - GuardNet
    SecureNet Ltd
    trading as Secure Network Solutions
    SecureNet: ACN 073 665 175
    9-11 Napier Close Deakin  ACT  2600, Australia
    PO Box 253,  Deakin West ACT  2600, Australia
    Ph:    +61 2 6260 3255
    Fax:  +61 2 6260 3188	E-mail:	cnichollsat_private
    Mob: 0418 487 322	WWW:	http://www.securenet.com.au
    "Opinions expressed in this e-mail are not necessarily those of SecureNet"