Re: Nokia/Checkpoint firewall

From: Josef Pojsl (josef.pojslat_private)
Date: Mon Feb 07 2000 - 02:23:31 PST

    Jerald,

    many thanks for your input. I was especially concerned about the version
    of FreeBSD that is your product based on. I was not able to find
    any reference about it on your web site - have I missed something?

    To restate my position, it comes from my strong belief that open systems
    are more secure. I did not mean to impeach anyone's competence personally.
    Still, IMHO, fixes and enhancements given to public are likely to be
    more secure. For any security fixes and/or enhancements made by Nokia,
    I would expect one of the following to happen:

    1) You send them to the FreeBSD team that will eventually create patches
       or, in the case of new features, (a) port(s). This is my favourite
       as the authors of the OS know their system better than anyone.

    2) If you want to keep your changes private and base your business
       on them, you transparently explain what exactly has been changed
       or added and how (ideally, you would make the sources public,
       eventually still keeping your intelectual property).

    With full respect to the skills and commitment of your team,
    I can't fully trust general statements about higher
    security of your product unless there is a chance to look at it in detail.

    With regards,
    Josef