Re: DMZ design - Exchange, SQL, & DCOM

From: Bill Pennington (billpat_private)
Date: Sun Feb 06 2000 - 11:49:39 PST

    The firewall doesn't know anything about what goes on in the DMZ. The firewall
    only knows about what tries to pass through its interfaces. What happens inside
    the DMZ or inside your LAN is completely unknown to the firewall unless that
    traffic tries to move through one of the firewall interfaces.

    Passing of non-ip protocols depends on your firewall. In this case since you
    need access from the inside of your network to the SQL server then you might
    need to run IP. As far is attacks from the internet are concerned, most routers
    only pass IP traffic. The likely hood of tunneling through a non IP protocol is
    very very slim.

    If you make your SQL server not accessable from the internet you have only
    removed half the security risk. Most SQL servers are attacked at the
    application level. See
    http://packetstorm.securify.com/0002-exploits/rfp2k01.txt for a good example of
    this.

    You might also want to look at
    http://www.cert.org/security-improvement/modules/m08.html for a good firewall
    deployment overview.

    BTW what firewall are you going to be using?