Re: Recent Attacks

From: Philip J. Koenig (pjklistat_private)
Date: Mon Feb 14 2000 - 20:07:18 PST

    I suspect the root servers are far more protected and
    hardened to such things than the vast majority of
    commercial web sites.

    Not to mention, you'd have to bring them all down at
    the same time to wreak widespread havoc.  That would
    be difficult, since they are all on widely-separated
    networks.

    Paul Vixie as a prank once collaborated with Jon Postel
    and hijacked some of the root servers, redirected some of
    their answers (Internic's page?) to their own sites.  But
    Postel was one of the most powerful people in the 'net and
    Vixie is in charge of BIND, so they had a bit of an advantage
    over your average script-kiddie. :-)

    Phil

    On 12 Feb 00, at 16:03, hndat_private boldly uttered: