Re: mitigating the lack of a firewall

From: Malcolm Holser (mholserat_private)
Date: Wed Feb 16 2000 - 14:11:46 PST

    ...and DoS attacks are harder to stop than "noraml" firewall sort
    of stuff, as you must distinguish between legitimate requests and
    spurious ones.  It might not be possible to have an open door to
    the public and not be susceptible to DoS "flood" attacks, even on
    an otherwise very secure site.  To protect against flood DoS, you
    have to be able to ignore the bogus requests, generally by recognizing
    a signature in it.  This latest flood was not able to be blocked
    by looking at the source address, as the floods came from good
    sites, although I think this one was blockable by looking at the
    contents of the packets (I think they may have been ICMP packets
    in the recent case).

    If this is all correct, you might answer the second part of the
    original post, and say something about the differences in security
    needs between "unauthorized access" and DoS.

    Malcolm Holser
    Adobe Systems, Inc.