Re: Recent Attacks

From: apotterat_private
Date: Wed Feb 16 2000 - 16:34:41 PST

    The technological solution will come.  Filtering is part of the solution, and
    will come soonest.  The REAL solution will likely take a while, since, as MJR
    points out, it's a hard problem.

    That leaves us with the social issue.

    The thinking in the Anti-Virus community about how to deal with this (social
    issues) has long been to catch one of the buggers and nail his hide up on the
    wall as a deterrent to the rest of `em.

    It's significant to note that the Melissa author will be sentenced in May.
    Hopefully he, and the fella described below, will get their hides "tacked up"
    in such a way to help with the social issue.

    donat_private said:
    > Yeap, that what we just finished doing in Virginia. Had a copycat come
    > after us Sunday morning. Tracked him down within 2 hour of the attack
    > and he was sitting in jail within 24 hours of the attack for felony
    > computer trespass.

    > Hit em hard and fast.

    And publicly....

    AL
    | Al Potter                           Manager, Network Security Labs |
    | apotter at-yay icsa ot-day net                           ICSA Labs |
    | (If the spambots learn piglatin...)                                |
    | PGP Key: 0x58C95451                            http://www.icsa.net |
    | PGP Fingerprint:  D3 1D BE 8C B5 DD 12 61  5A 4A 65 32 93 E5 D9 36 |