Re: Recent Attacks

From: David LeBlanc (dleblancat_private)
Date: Fri Feb 18 2000 - 19:08:36 PST

    At 05:44 PM 2/18/00 -0800, Ryan Russell wrote:

    >> That's what happens when you damage someone.  All of a sudden, the worn out
    >> car you'd sell for $1000 becomes a well-maintained collector's item worth
    >> at least $5000.

    >> I agree with Marcus - once the vandals are caught, they ought to sue them
    >> back into the stone age.

    >OK then, what's fair damages for writing Internet Scanner, an evil haxor
    >tool?

    It is all a matter of usage.  If I use a hammer to build a building, I get
    paid.  If I use it to smash windshields, I get thrown in jail.  There isn't
    any law against checking security of your own systems.  There is a law
    against breaking into other people's systems.  At least ISS made a good
    faith effort to keep the Scanner's licensing such that it at least slowed
    the crackers down for a while before they could use it.  That's more than I
    can say for several other auditing tool vendors.

    This really has nothing to do that I can see with the current discussion.

    >How about releasing the "firewall" toolkit full of holes?

    I have no idea what you're talking about.  fwtk?  ISS' 'firewall scanner'
    stuff?

    >$100M
    >each?

    I hope you're joking.  If so, you should have put <g> liberally.

    David LeBlanc
    dleblancat_private