Re: many attempts to Port 137 (NetBIOS-NameService)

From: K. Graham (kgrahamat_private)
Date: Fri Feb 18 2000 - 13:45:16 PST

    It sounds like the new VBS Trojan that is being distributed.  NAI has
    put
    it in their database as of Feb 3/2000.  You can find the information at
    http://vil.nai.com/vil/vbs98477.asp  This trojan uses NetBios to look
    for
    open shares on the C: drive.  If it finds the open shares then it
    executes
    an install program.   NAI does not go into what it installs but most
    Trojan channels on any IRC network may be able to elaborate on what it
    actually does.   Check http://www.nohack.net or
    http://split.netset.com/miscfix for informatition.   Seeing it is a new
    trojan it may be a few days before their websites have information to
    post.

    It is becoming more and more frequent to look for open shares on high
    speed Internet connections.  Unfortunately not all people are aware that

    small programs can be installed that allow remote control of individual
    PC's from a central or several central locations.

    Kim Graham
    Network Analyst, CCNA
    IRCop DALnet, WebChat