RE: Recent Attacks

From: Joseph Judge (joejat_private)
Date: Sun Feb 20 2000 - 19:06:42 PST

    I agree and disagree with Ryan's comments ...
    (and like Steve and mjr's in general :-)

    I disagree with the:
    >intelligent thought into what the damages really were.  I still say the
    >attacker couldn't have done 1.2B in damages, and that's the "crucifixtion"
    >dollar amount.  "

    I agree with the:
    >If someone decides that mapping out the Internet to produce nice-looking
    >graphs constitutes a criminal port-scanning attack, you would want to have
    >someone force the prosecutors to name reasonable damages, right?  You
    >wouldn't want some idiot fed saying "This guy attacked every single
    >machine on the Internet for severl years, and caused trillions in
    >damages."

    Having spent a very small amount of time in DC with attorneys/etc on
    a "hacking case" -- I am impressed with how far they go to _really_
    try to understand what happened and its impact.

    Real damages or not ... people are people. We want to set examples to
    deter, we want to summararily execute criminals we "know" are guilty,
    and we let OJ free to golf his remaining days away.

    I think MJR is right -- there are a _lot_ of folks getting _very_
    tired of the abuses and, on the other side, the lack of security
    fundamentals when it comes to many sites.

    	- joe

    	[begin ramblings]
    This is the 2nd time in the past few days that Steve mentioned
    "time = money". I'm starting to think that some folks don't quite
    understand that there is _serious_ money involved. (Clearly,
    this must be the case - since he had to send it twice :-)

    Time is not some intagible thing -- where Joe Blow missed his
    trade for 1000 shares of Cisco (damn, lost $5000 / $10000
    / $100000). Joe Blow feels the tangible loss.

    If you could, for example, delay the reporting of NAV prices
    for a mutual fund then you could cost that company $millions
    in SEC fines + the reputational loss. Is $1.2B in damages
    fair - could be.

    ... and there are large financial services companies using the
    Internet for gathering pricing information (currently: this
    is their secondary channel, they still have leased lines for
    primary).
    	[end ramblings]

    	-joe