Expert Advice for the "Rook"

From: Larry Krauss (larryat_private)
Date: Tue Feb 22 2000 - 21:31:02 PST

    ------=_NextPart_000_0005_01BF7D95.436736A0

    I am looking to isolate a home network from the Internet and am looking =
    for some basic advise.=20

    I have 2 network cards in a server and am expecting to connect my cable =
    modem to one and my internal network to another.  I know there are some =
    "personal firewalls" but I have no idea how good they are. I also =
    understand that Black Ice is a fairly, easy to configure, somewhat =
    secure, inexpensive solution for the home. I don't know if it willl do =
    NAT? I would need this capability for the 2 card scenerio, correct? =
    Static, Dynamic?  If Black Ice doesn't have the capability, is it =
    necessary? If necessary would you suggest a reasonably priced firewall?

    Thanks. Larry.

    ------=_NextPart_000_0005_01BF7D95.436736A0

    <HTML><HEAD>
    http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
    <STYLE></STYLE>
    </HEAD>
    <BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
    <DIV><FONT size=3D2>I am looking to isolate a home network&nbsp;from the =
    Internet=20
    and am looking for some basic advise.&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
    <DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV><FONT size=3D2>I have 2 network cards in&nbsp;a server and am =
    expecting to=20
    connect my&nbsp;cable modem to one and my internal network to =
    another.&nbsp; I=20
    know there are some "personal firewalls" but I have no idea how good =
    they are. I=20
    also understand that Black Ice is a fairly, easy to configure, somewhat =
    secure,=20
    inexpensive solution for the home. I don't know if it willl do NAT? I =
    would need=20
    this capability for the 2 card scenerio, correct? Static, Dynamic?  If =
    Black Ice=20
    doesn't have the capability, is it necessary? If necessary would you =
    suggest a=20
    reasonably priced firewall?</FONT></DIV>
    <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV>Thanks. Larry.</DIV></BODY></HTML>

    ------=_NextPart_000_0005_01BF7D95.436736A0--