RE: Linux Proxy Server ?

From: Matt Bruce (matt.bruceat_private)
Date: Tue Feb 22 2000 - 17:49:14 PST

    Troy,

    It's an excellent solution as a proxy cache, and has the ability to use ACLs
    for a degree of security, but I wouldn't implement it if you've been hooked
    into the Microsoft sales guff that says that a proxy server is a
    firewall/security solution. Nor would I use it in a situation that requires
    user authentication (e.g. an environment where some users have WWW access
    and others don't). You could add some ipfwadm/ipchains packet filtering
    rules for increased security, too.

    I think there's a Squid HOWTO available, and there should be a few resources
    about the place that tell you how to do a "best practice" install of a Squid
    cache, but I don't know where you'd get them from. Let me know when you find
    them, and remember that TCO isn't just the cost of software and hardware. :)

    HTH,

    Matt Bruce     <matt.bruceat_private>
    Security & Internet Engineer
    AlphaWest - http://www.alphawest.com.au/