Re: [fw-wiz] handy list of undesireble foreign networks

From: Tony Miedaner (miedanerat_private)
Date: Fri Jun 01 2001 - 11:30:09 PDT

    Hi,

    Hostile and uncooperative nations probably should be filtered as they could become a
    haven for hackers (and probably are) for whatever reasons - I think this does reduce
    the threat in a way.  At a minimum it would be useful to identify these networks on
    an IDS system, IMHO.

    Going out on a limb here you could argue that countries where there could be no
    cooperation in pursuing computer criminals should be blocked.  It would be far safer
    for a US based person to launch a US directed attack from a machine in a foreign
    country that is hostile to the US.

    There is another side to this I suppose in that the size and fragmentation of the
    networks may make such a list impossible to implement except possibly in an IDS
    system.